Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Freewriting: Hide and Seek

  I quickly slide across the rough pavement positioning myself in the dark,cool shadows under the large Chevy Suburban in the neighbors drive. I lie still trying to slow the thundering of my racing heart and silence the gasping breaths that threaten to give my location away. I know he is coming, I can feel it. I listen intently, hoping for any telltale sign of his arrival as I carefully peer from my dark nest. I hear the Stephenson’s Labrador barking several blocks up the street. Cars whoosh up and down the main highway in the distance. The wind swirls dried leaves across the damp grass creating a soft, soothing rustle. There it is, the ever familiar sound of his sneakers crunching the fall leaves underfoot.
  He knows he is going to find me. He is walking, taking his time, taunting me with his confidence as he he savors the hunt. I can hear him coming ever closer. The earthy smell of his cologne is brought to me by the wind dancing across my face like a gentle caress. My animal instincts beg me to take off running in search of a new hiding place but I know I will be caught if I try. I would never win if it came down to a footrace in the open, his long athletic legs would quickly outdistance my much shorter ones. His footsteps slowly draw closer,his pace increases as he assertively bears down on my location.
  I stare out from under the large SUV wildly searching for some sign of my pursuer. I know he is close but I cannot see him. Blood rushes through my ears silencing the world as adrenaline floods into my bloodstream. I can feel my heart racing and my muscles twitching, begging me to rise and flee. I fight the urge to take flight, slowly willing my body to relax as I pull myself deeper into the shadows. Clamping my hand over my mouth, I visualize myself disappearing as I blend and meld with the warm pavement beneath me.
  He reaches under the large Suburban and grabs my ankles in his vice like grip dragging me across the pavement and up onto damp cool grass. I scream and kick out wildly trying to break his grasp and escape but it is of no use. He has caught me and now I am going to pay the ultimate price. I go limp surrendering myself to the punishment that I know is coming.
  I watch helplessly as he pins my arms above my head with one hand and reaches down with the other. His long fingers lithely dance their way across my ribcage as my body convulses with laughter. “Okay!” I shriek as I try to squirm away, “You, win I get bathtime tonight but you have to take storytime!.” His four little apprentices who had watched from the porch shriek with joy and run towards us piling up in a large, squealing dogpile. With shouts of, “Alright!” and “Good job dad!”
  We all get to our feet and walk towards the house together smiling and laughing all the way to the door. I have lost yet another summer night game of hide and seek and I could not possibly be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment